Saturday, May 30, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Well, I have neither silver bells nor cockle shells, but my garden is growing quite well, all the same. It tends to do better when I don't mess with it.

For example, the happiest plant I have is the zucchini which sprang up all by itself about a month ago. That's one of the benefits of throwing all the compost into the garden area...volunteers!

The brussles are doing well, although they aren't as tightly bunched as they should be. Do you think it's 'cause they're a cold-weather veggie? I'm ready to harvest them anyway, even though the sprouts are only about a half-inch diameter. As soon as they grow bigger, they just open up. I'll let you know how they taste!

The green beans are happy, too. These plants actually grew up as a second crop from the ones I planted in October. We didn't get to enjoy the harvest from the last crop, although I heard that they were yummy! We should be here when this crop matures, Lord willing!


I remember when I was little, my mom always had to remind me to put shoes on (even though I seldom actually did it). I remind my kids, too, for a couple of good reasons. First of all, we have some really mean ants here. The general consensus is that we prefer to be stung by a scorpion rather than an ant.

The other reason is the guachapole. I have no idea if that's how you spell it, but here it is...
ouch
They love to fasten themselves to the hem of your skirt, the cuff of your pantleg or even the edge of your shoe.

This picture caused me to smile as the Lord gave me a spiritual application. Sometimes it's amazing the lengths we will go to to avoid the stickers in our life. Rather than walk the tightrope of old, buried tires to avoid stepping in the sand, wouldn't it be easier to just put on shoes?

So many times I find myself struggling through a frustrating situation and then realize that I really didn't spend any time in prayer about it beforehand. You'd think I'd learn by now!!!

Matthew 6:33 says, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you."

If you're wondering what "all these things" refers to, let's read the context (the NI-me version -- King James with a little tweaking).

Verse 25 and following...

Therefore, I say to you, take no thought for your life, what you shall eat, or what you shall drink; nor for your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than meat, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap, nor taher into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you much better than they?

Which of you by thinking about it can add one inch to his stature? Why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field; they neither toil nor spin; yet even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these!

So, if God dresses the grass of the field which is here today and burned up tomorrow, won't He take care of you as well? Oh, me of little faith!

Therefore, do not worry saying, What shall we eat? What shall we drink? How shall we get clothes? (This is what the world is worried about, afterall.) Your heavenly Father knows that you have need of these things.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added to you.
Well, that's how God is talking to me this week! I pray that you are encouraged to seek God first and not sweat the small stuff!

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Your garden looks lovely! Wish I had a green thumb like you!!

Rebecca said...

Heh, heh! Green thumb? Hardly! Seth is the gardener of the family. I have great aspirations, but when it comes right down to it, I give the seeds to Seth and he makes great things happen with them. I've managed to not kill a few things, but if any plants truly flourish, it's in spite of me, not because of me!!!

But thanks for the compliment! I'll pass it along! ;^)

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

We have those same prickly things here in Dominica. My hubby and the boys were picking cherries next door and the 6yr old got it all over his clothes. They can be a nuisance if you don't know they're there and they prick you.

Good going with the garden.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Jenn! So far, so good! The worst thing about getting those little stickers in your clothes is that if you don't pull them out before you do laundry, they just embed themselves and they're almost impossible to get out. Ugh. Hate those things!!!

You guys have cherries??? Yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I found you through the CWO Blogroll! Your spiritual application is right on!