Monday, November 24, 2008

Passing by Samaria


Well, I did finally finish re-reading this book. Yes, it was as good as I remembered. Quite possibly, better. Yes, I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone. Due to some more...mature themes, I'd suggest a parental pre-read for kids under 15. The author is a Christian woman and there is nothing off-color (poor word choice, I know) or inappropriate. The subject matter, however, is tough and may require some further discussion. In fact, I would hope that it encourages it.

This is not a Christian romance novel! While the story is of relationships, the focus is on the heroine's relationship with her parents and her Father God, rather than with a future spouse.

Set in Mississippi and Chicago in 1919, Passing by Samaria is a story of a young black girl's abrupt step from childhood to adulthood and her struggle to grow into the woman God intends for her to be.

I found this book spiritually powerful. I believe that a good story is at the heart of the great Romance that God desires to share with each of us. Sharon Ewell Foster has written a very good story. I was especially touched by the way Mrs. Foster communicated the struggle between good and evil through the lives of the characters. The heroine throughout the book is struggling to come to grips with the descrimination and hatred she sees in the world around her and balance that with the love she has been taught that Jesus has for her. This conflict threatens to rip her apart, but...well, you'll just have to read the book to find out "but" what!

My 15 year old daughter and I both put this book on our "Oh What a Good Book List". I can't recommend it highly enough! Let me know if you've read it or decide to read it! I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Click here to get around to it!

No comments: