Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blogger Friend School #114 -- Betcha Can't Eat Just One!

Memory Verse: 1 Corinthians 10:13No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Introduction: Betcha’ Can’t Eat Just One (Lays Potato Chips)
This weeks topic deals with eating potato chips and how good they are. I love salty foods so I have a terrible time eating just one. Along with these chips that I can’t eat just one of, I cannot get enough of studying my Bible. I think it’s ironic that chips (salty foods) are such a temptation. In the Bible (Leviticus) it tells us that salt is regarded as a disinfectant and when babies were born the midwife covered the baby with salt to clean its body and also to ward away any evil spirits or demons.

Assignment: Tell us about something that you can’t get enough of and what scripture(s) in the Bible you cannot tear yourself away from.




There are two kinds of people in this world: potato chip people and chocolate people. I am not a potato chip person. I really could eat just one Lay; Ruffles leave me flat. But I could eat a whole bag of Hershey's Mint Chocolate Minis. Reeces peanut butter cups make my eyes light up.

Spiritual application? Well, I dunno... ;^)

I love the teachings of Jesus in His sermon on the mount. I've spent a lot of time studying them, and I even confiscated an old book of Martin Lloyd-Jones' sermons based on the Sermon on the Mount which was given to Doug by a friend of ours. I love the writings of Paul. He encourages me and asks me to step up my walk. I like the prophets -- both major and minor -- and reading about how God has been weaving His plan throughout the generations.

My favorite, though -- my spiritual candy -- are the books of history. My mom is picking herself up off the floor right now. Never would have thought that, huh Mom? I was not the ideal history student in school. In fact, I seem to remember that class being the one I skipped most often in high school. In addition to the class being incredibly boring to me, it also was the first class of the morning. I never really have "done" mornings.

There's just something about Bible history, though, that makes my heart perk up. I pour over Biblical Archeology Today, I peruse Ken Ham's website regularly, I subscribe to Creation Magazine online and I think that I enjoy our Mystery of History class even more than the kids do!!!

I could (and do) read the accounts in Genesis and Exodus over and over. Every time I do, I learn something new; I find some new insight. For instance, do you remember the time that Abraham was in Egypt and lied about Sarah being his sister? Did you realize he did that twice??? Once in Egypt and then again in Gerar. (Genesis 12:13; Genesis 20:2) Like he didn't figure out that it was a really bad idea the first time???

Ok, so Abraham didn't always learn from his mistakes (just like me!). Hop over to Genesis 26 and you'll see that not only did he not learn, he didn't exactly share his past mistakes, and the lessons he learned through them, with his son. Verse 6 of chapter 26 says, "And Isaac dwelt in Gerar". Isaac is now living with his lovely wife Rebekah in a place where his father had lived with Sarah some years before. Read on to verse 7...

And the men of the place asked him of his wife; and he said, "She is my sister"; for he feared to say, "She is my wife"; "lest", said he, "the men of the place should kill me for Rebekah"; because she was fair to look upon.


Can you just picture God slapping His forehead and sighing at this point??? Maybe this is where the expression "Been there, done that" came from?

From this story, I'm reminded that not only do I need to point my kids in the right direction and live so that they see Jesus in my life, but I also need to share with them (during those teachable moments!) the mistakes I've made and the lessons that God has taught me.

Ah, these incidents give me such hope!!! These men are "The Patriarchs". If they can blow it like that and still be used of God, there is indeed hope for me!!! Reading Bible history just fills a spot in my heart. Most certainly it's my spiritual "comfort food".

1 Corinthians 10:11 "Now all these things happened unto them for examples, and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come."


Have a blest week everyone!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoyed reading your assignment!!

blessings,
Kym

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

I now love history, too. Enjoyed your post.

Jill
http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

mmmm...history, gotta love it.

MrsKerri

Anonymous said...

I love History and all the historical books of the Bible are fun to read! Thank you for sharing with us. Have a great week!

Mrs. Nancy

Sheri said...

Yah, there are several of those head slappin moments in the Bible...Beth Moore's Patriarchs study really highlighted them. As for the Reeces PB cups-those PB balls of Devildogs are very, very close to them and make a ton! I bet one could even squish it flat into a pan or those little baking cups and then pour the choc. over em to make mini homemade reeces cups.
(she has it for last week's assignment)
Thanks for the great post-happy holidays, Merry Christmas and Felice Navidad.