Monday, November 24, 2008

Re-reading Fauntleroy

Well, I just finished reading Little Lord Fauntleroy to the kids. What a blast! I'd forgotten how much I love that book! Of all Frances Hodgeson Burnett's books, I'd rank it #2 to The Little Princess...but it's a very close second! ;^)

The 30 second summary is this: Set in the late 1700s/early 1800s a poor, American boy suddenly finds himself heir to a fortune and whisked away to England where he sets the whole village in an uproar and captures his grandfather, the earl's, heart. Fast-paced and at times suspenceful and generally hilarious, it's a captivating story for young and old, boys and girls alike. (Some parts really need to be read with a British accent. I think my King's English tends more toward Irish, but the kids don't seem to mind! The reader will also want to practice a deep bellow for the grandfather and a composed, serene voice for the British lawyer. I did my "Alfred" voice.)

Warning to the reader: Keep a glass of water nearby on the last few chapters. Once you hit chapter eleven, your audience probably will push for "one more chapter" till the end. Even my 15 year old was in stitches during the last couple of chapters and led the troops in begging for "just a little more" till we finished the book. Now I'm hoarse. I'm going to go fix a cup of tea!!!

Click here to get around to it!

No comments: