Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall into Reading 2008

Katrina over at Callapidder Days (Don't 'cha just love the name?) is hosting a reading challenge. You can click on over to read all about it.






For my part, I'm putting together my list of books I want to read myself, read to the kids, read with Doug and "encourage" the kids to read (assign as homework). I think this will be a great motivator for me. I'm quite the list maker (I inherited it from my mom...thanks, Mom!!!) -- sometimes I even write things down on my "to do" list after I've done them, just so I can cross them off. Yes, I know that they have medication for that.


Anyway, I've been collecting a serious stack of books which have been collecting dust in my library and I've been meaning to read. Hopefully, with this challenge as my motivation, I'll get a round to it!!!


Here's my list (I'll probably add to it as the fall progresses. OCD, y'know)...and I'll post reviews when we finish so we can give the ol' thumbs up or thumbs down.

  • Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. (Read Aloud) Jessee started reading this to Andrew and Evie while we were camping and I've promised to finish it (that was 2 months ago...).
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmusk Orcky -- (Read Aloud) Set in France in 1792 in the middle of the French revolution. It's one of those books I've always wanted to read...but never found the time. I think we'll start it right after Harriet. Correction: Caleb just saw this book sitting on my desk and said, "Madam Guillotine? Cool. This is my book!" and walked off. I think it'll be a couple of weeks before we start that one.
  • A Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel and Jane Vogel -- (Seth and Jessee) I read this one last spring -- great creation vs evolution overview written in basic language. It's suitable for most kids in 6th grade or above -- read aloud to younger kids (which I might do, or I might not!)
  • Milton -- A collection of his works. This is another one of those books I've always wanted to read. Sarah's in the middle of Paradise Lost and will post a review when she finishes.
  • The Story of Liberty by James Baldwin -- Copyright 1910 by The American Book Company -- From the preface: "This book has been prepared with a view to making the study of [Americanization] interesting and profitable to American schoolboys and schoolgirls." How could I possibly pass that up? With only 240 pages, this looks to be a very interesting diversion somewhere near the end of October.
  • Passing by Samaria by Sharon Ewell Foster -- I read this book a few years ago and remember it as being most excellent. I recommended it to Sarah last fall and she, also, rated it as "excellent". That's a rating we don't give lightly. I remember the premise, but not the details, so I want to read it again before I recommend it to Caleb or the twins.
  • Bruchko by Bruce Olson -- Recommended (and given) to us by a visiting missionary almost 2 years ago, we will finally be reading it this fall!!! From the back cover: "The astonishing story of a 19-year-old youth's capture by stone-age Indians -- and his adventures in Christianizing the Motilone tribe." We loved "Beyond the Gates of Splendor" and "The End of the Spear". I think this will be great as a family read-aloud...if I hide it from the kids between chapters.

Well, that's the "starting point". I'm sure I'll add more as we go along!

Happy Monday, everyone!!!

And Happy first day of fall...even though it's still up near 100 and the humidity is still above 80%. My humidity ticker brings hope: 24 more days of stickiness!!!

2 comments:

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

Looks good! I have Case for a Creator, but hadn't thought about reading it aloud with my son. That's a good idea! Thanks for being part of Fall Into Reading '08!

Anonymous said...

I read Bruchko a couple of years ago when my son, then a college freshman, had it assigned to him as required reading for a class. I wanted to read it, too . . . it was wonderful! Hope you enjoy it. And happy fall reading!

:) Lynn